Sunday, July 6, 2008

to everything there is a season

We are having a melancholy family reunion this weekend, as friends and relatives gather to pay tribute to Tom. My brother and his wife brought their two adorable children to visit for the weekend, and their special sparkle of joyful innocence has had a life-affirming effect on everyone.

We spent yesterday morning frantically "tidying up", so we'd be able to spend time at Mom and Dad's house as long as we wanted to, and still be ready for work on Monday. Ironically, I was up so late last night (in spite of heading home at 9:30 so we could get a good night's sleep), that I was exhausted this morning. Harrison spent the night at Mom and Dad's. Julio and I went to church at 8 this morning, stayed for the 9am service, then met the others for breakfast at the Colony Inn in the Amanas.

When we got home, Harrison headed back to their house, and I stayed home to lie down for awhile - which turned out to be hours. While I napped, Julio mowed the lawn and did three loads of laundry. (!) Then we got cleaned up and went to the visitation, ending the evening with a 9pm dinner at Mom and Dad's.

The celebration of life is at 2pm tomorrow, so Julio won't be able to make it, but I was able to make arrangements, so Harrison and I can attend with the family.

Wish I had a profound insight to add to this post, but I can barely form a sentence, so I'll sign off for now.

No comments: