Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I talked to Darrin

I just got off the phone with Darrin, who is the head honcho at the nearby Historic Village since Vicky retired (Vicky was the lifeblood of the village, so I've been pretty worried that we've lost the village since she isn't there to champion the cause.)

My dad and brothers all worked for the village years ago, and I've done some minor volunteer work recently when I've been able to. It is a wonderful resource for our community, and has always been one of the favorite field trip destinations for my daycare. Vicky opened the entire village to us for Mom and Dad's 40th anniversary party a few years back, for a very reasonable fee. In short, the village has always felt like a second home for us.

I confessed to Darrin that we had visited recently, hoping to learn how things are going out there. He told me what we already realized - even employees aren't allowed in their own buildings right now. Mom and Dad and I took some pictures as we looked around. Obviously we didn't go inside any of the buildings, as they are off limits even to employees, but I did stick my camera through a couple doorways (while covering my mouth and nose with cloth - even outside the door, I didn't want to take any chances with mold spores) and took some "arm's eye view" shots of the damage.

I'll post a few here. For the record, in speaking with Darrin, the structures themselves (the ones still standing, that is) should be fine, regardless of the mold. The drywall will be replaced regardless, and they are hopeful if not optimistic that they may be allowed in to do some mitigation before winter strikes. I told him to be sure and contact our family as we want to help however we are able.

So here are the photos:

No comments: