Thursday, August 7, 2008

Celebrating John

My brother John was born on this day awhile back. At the time, I wasn't too keen on the idea. I'd been pretty happy with the way things were before he came along. I was especially not keen on the fact that he and my other brother both had the gall to be born the same week as my birthday, thus ensuring that August would never again be "all about me". As we entered our teen years, we had our moments when I thought perhaps it was ok that he was sharing the world of my youth, but they were somewhat fleeting.

Now I couldn't be more thankful that he and I shared our birth week and our childhoods (and survived each other). He has become one of the people I most admire, and a person I hold up to my son as an example of how to live your life. Never one to let conventional wisdom or popular opinion sway his decisions, he has had more amazing experiences than anyone else I know, and he's always looking for the next grand adventure.

He has traveled the world and worked in more fascinating venues than most people could imagine. The year our dad retired, the two of them spent two months canoeing the length of the Mississippi river with John's dog (in preparation for which, he redesigned and customized their canoes). He has sung opera in Rome, visited the Arctic region, Europe, and Belize with the Marine Corps, toured the United States singing his original songs on a music ministry with Jason, healed countless rescued animals, and now spends his workdays saving lives as an EMT. He taught himself to create stained glass masterpieces and handcrafted furniture, and somehow found time to come up with an unbeatable recipe for pepper jelly using various peppers he grows in the greenhouse-like area he created next to his workshop.

John had the great fortune and good taste to marry a woman who encourages his bold dreams, while keeping him grounded just enough to maintain a happy home for the two of them and their adorable children.

If you asked me who I know that is living the American Dream, he and Jason would be the first two people I would mention. I'm very proud to be their sister, and realize now how very very blessed I was that they came on the scene when they did.

I love you John! Happy birthday - hope you've had a wonderful Shaffer Week!

2 comments:

Grammy said...

You've done it again! Such a wonderful tribute to another wonderful man in your life. You are, indeed, a very lucky gal!

John said...

Thanks for the kind words sis. Shaffer week was pretty great! Love to you and your family. Thanks for being my sis.
J