Thursday, October 30, 2008

I Voted

I run a "reward program" for Harrison's class once a week; it's an incentive tool for his teacher to use as encouragement for kids to behave and get their homework done, etc. Basically, I go in and play some kind of semi-educational game with the students who have received a "star" for the week, then once a month (or every month & a half) I do a more extensive project/program for anyone who gets 4 or more stars.

When the program was done today, I checked Harrison out of school so he could come with me to vote. I always take him with me when I vote; when he gets old enough, I want him to be very comfortable with the process, so he won't hesitate to exercise his own right to vote.

We picked up Grammy and G-Boy and headed to the county auditor's office (temporary headquarters at the mall on the other side of town, since their downtown building is still in flood-recovery mode). There was a good-sized line outside the door, but they were very well organized and it didn't take long to get through the line to cast our ballots.

Once we had all voted, we stopped at the Chik-Fill-A (sp?) for lunch, then took Harrison back to school. On the way back to school, we talked about the process to make sure he understood each step along the way. Mission accomplished.

Have you voted yet?

No comments: