Monday, October 27, 2008

Everything I needed to know I learned from a 5th grader

Working on preparations for our upcoming musical last night, I wasn't paying much attention to the television. After a round of political ads, Harrison turned to me and said, "If I ever run for president, I'm not going to waste any money on ads to say bad things about the other guy. I'm just going to use my ads to tell people about why I should be the president, and my plans to make the country better."

Then we came up with a strategy whereby as voters, we would decide who to vote for based on the high-mindedness of their campaigns. We will go one step further than voting on the issues. To counteract the "damage" negative ads cause their opponents through influencing the "ignorant masses", each negative ad will count against the candidate who "approves this message", and we will make a point to vote for their opponent, regardless of party affiliation.

At first we decided only to vote for candidates who don't use any negative campaign tactics - but then we just wouldn't vote...how sad.

We're also going to vote for candidates who are smart enough to do the job, even if they think they are better than us. From what I've seen, even the politicians who pander to us soccer moms think they are better than the general public. (To be honest, I find it insulting to be referred to as "guys and gals" by a public official. "Ladies and gentlemen" is far more respectful and less patronizing. My grandfather was a farmer in a small town who built his farm into a million-dollar operation without benefit of a college degree. He was never a "guy". He was a gentleman.) I WANT somebody smarter and better than me leading this country! If a plumber can't identify with him or her, I'm good with that.

For me, the most important value my leaders need to have is the courage of their convictions, and the integrity to stand up for their positions even if it is not the politically safe move to make. Both presidential candidates can point to evidence of such courage in their political histories. From my perspective, one is better positioned to continue with such conviction than the other - who has only recently switched focus to "playing the game", ironically with considerable success.

My goal for the upcoming election is to have an administration and leadership in place that will improve America's reputation world-wide, and make our country less of an international punchline. Luckily, both Presidential candidates are capable of making that happen, so no matter what we hear in the news on November 5, it won't be as jaw-dropping or stomach twisting as the last two elections were.