Sunday, March 15, 2009

Everybody's a Comedian, or: Pastor A.D.D.

I am tired out of my mind today, due to a recent bout of insomnia combined with a perilously long day at State Speech contest yesterday. Things strike me as so funny when I'm nearly unconscious...

The young children's bell choir, composed of 2nd and 3rd grade children, played for the special music portion of our worship service this morning. When they were finished, as is typical at our church, the congregation burst into applause, with a few whistles and "woot" sounds as well. Pastor Herb took the podium, and filling time while the children made their way back to their seats, he commented "Wow, I never get that kind of response to my sermons!"

So he's chugging along, giving his homily about living for today or some such thing (although I was trying to listen attentively, nothing was really sticking in my brain) when he suddenly looks toward the door that leads to the hall, and out of the blue, says something like, "and that's why we need to trust in...Rich is out there making faces at me. Come in and say hello, Rich!", at which point the choir director sheepishly peaks in, waves and darts toward the choir room post-haste.

Well, that woke me up a little and I was paying attention better, and he got going again, then said, "so what are we worried about, really? And that begs the question: Can I get my microphone a little hotter please? Well, that's not the question I was talking about. There we go! Can you hear me now? Which begs the question...what was I talking about?"

Finally the surreal sermon reached it's end.
The congregation burst into applause, cheers and whistles.

No comments: