Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Saluting McCain

Senator McCain was very presidential in his concession speech last night, and I couldn't help but wonder what shape our world would be in today if he'd been granted the opportunity to run for President eight (or even four) years earlier.

While I register as an independent voter, and back up that independence by voting all over the board - for the person rather than the party - I've always fancied myself a potential "McCain Republican". A McCain-Powell ticket would have been irresistible for me, even in the wake of the Bush administration.

Which is why I was saddened to watch this great patriot give his concession speech for an office I spent decades praying he would occupy. Only a man of John McCain's caliber could win so much support in the shadow of our current administration. Only John McCain could make this such a close race.

It was a melancholy moment when I cast my vote for Obama. Finally I had my chance to vote for McCain, but could not do so in good conscience. In voting for Obama, I voted for the man and not the party. But in deciding against McCain, I was voting away from a party/administration which I feel has treated our country and our planet with increasing contempt over the past 8 years.

I believe our country is blessed to have reached this moment in history, and to have had two such outstanding Americans for our candidates. And I believe John McCain will continue to make contributions to our country which will rival and exceed those of most who were successful in their bid for President.

As a McCain Republican who supported Obama, I can neither fully celebrate or mourn the election results of 2008. But I can fully celebrate the promise for our future that comes from having both of these fine men working on our behalf.

No comments: