Sunday, September 7, 2008

Something About September

What is it about the change in seasons that seems to wreak havoc? One year ago I was tending to the needs of my ailing (dying) companion of 16 years, my beloved dog, Yuxia. So naturally, the coming of September has been, for me, tainted with a melancholy resurfacing of grief, compounded by the still-recent death of Tom, and the seems-like-yesterday-and-how-can-it-really-have-happened passing of my beloved "sister/mother", Aunt Bobbi.

I'm also a summer-lover, so I've always "mourned the passing of summer". But this year, it seems like the onset of fall has gotten to more people in my universe than usual. Julio's coworker (RB, mentioned in my post a couple days ago) took his own life. Then I learned on Friday that one of my favorite students, a smart, vivacious young person who seems to have the world by the horns, was hospitalized for depression. Another couple I am close to is having marital problems and may be headed for divorce.

Many who aren't being affected emotionally seem to be taking a physical hit. Harrison has already had a sick day this year, as has Deedee's stepson Alex. Grammy and G-Boy took ill this weekend, and of course our young warrior, Ben, continues to fight his battles (with the help of his Mommy and Daddy and baby brother). I caught some kind of "let's be exhausted all the time" bug, and finally gave up trying to sleep it off. Even the soprano in our praise band has been out for several weeks, fighting some kind of respiratory infection.

Well, at least I haven't been working on my wedding thank-you's lately, so I can't add all these recent dilemmas to the circumstantial-superstition-enforcing-evidence that working on anything related to our wedding causes trouble for my loved ones. (Unless planning times to work on the thank-you's when Julio can help counts as working on something related to the wedding...eep).

No comments: