Thursday, June 11, 2009

ALEX is FOUR!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ALEX!

I've written a lot about my wonderful nephew, Ben, and his numerous struggles to maintain good health. All too often, I overlook his adorable younger brother, Alex, who is equally precious and beloved.

Alex is one of the sweetest, most cheerful young men I've ever known. He is intelligent, articulate, vivacious, and filled with a zest for life that can't be taught. He is a great little brother to Ben; he looks up to and admires his big brother, and he's very good at helping out with things that are harder for Ben due to medical constraints.

His mischievous smile tells it all. When he was a tiny little guy (not the big 4-year-old he is today), I loved to sweep him into my arms, and growl in his ear "take me to your gold!", because he was the spitting image of my idea of a leprechaun - a tiny, perfect little man with a lot of energy and a devilish grin and the most heart melting giggle you ever heard.

You just can't think about Alex without getting a big smile on your face and feeling a lifting of whatever burdens present themselves in your day. His Mommy and Daddy have some big challenges in their everyday life, and while keeping up with Alex is a challenge in and of itself, the sheer joy he exudes must make it easier for them to get through the tough times.

Happy Birthday, Alex - I hope it's a day just as fun and joyous as you are! LOVE YOU!!!

No comments: