Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Celebrating Dad


photo by Harrison

My Dad is another year older today, and doesn't it just figure for men that another year older is an accomplishment to celebrate rather than (as for us women) another step further from youth!

My brothers and I agree that of all our friends growing up, we had the coolest Dad. He performed in shows with us - at TCR as well as at the high school. He was one of the few parents who could hang out with me and my friends and not feel like a chaperone (which made him a top-notch chaperone!)

Dad taught me some awesome steps when I had to choreograph partnering dance moves for show choir. For some reason, many people are surprised to find out he's a great dancer. I remember jaws dropping when he joined the younger members of the Big River cast during the clogging section of the finale. More recently, when we were having an impromptu salsa lesson in the living room, Julio was so amazed at Dad's grace, he blurted out "Why Grampa, you're a feather!"

As the boys and I were growing up, Dad never missed a performance or game, whether we were soloists/superstars or just in the chorus/warming the bench. Dad was always there cheering us on and making sure we had every opportunity he could provide.

When I was in college and called home upset about one or another of my young-adult heartbreaks, I knew I could count on Dad to say "put your feet in first position", dredging up memories of an old Hallmark ad - and making me laugh and cry simultaneously. Then he would quickly say "let me hand you over to your mother", unless the problem was something that actually could be fixed, in which case he would always have a solution.

Naturally, his superior parenting skills have carried over into his role as "G-Boy". Dad and Harrison are "best buds", and have already built a lifetime worth of golden memories together. G-boy is always good for a living room wrestling match, or a Playstation Showdown. In the summertime, all the neighborhood kids shout "Yay! Grampa's coming swimming" the minute they see him making his way down the hill to the neighborhood pool. Dad & Harrison went to Bear Scouts Camp, butterfly tagging, and they've recently taken up fishing (in summertime, that is). They've worked on countless projects, from sewing handpuppets to building pinewood derby cars, from gardening to whittling.

I could go on about my awesome Dad forever, but I've got to get Brownies out of the oven and wrap his gifts so we can go celebrate with him in person. So for now, I'll end with this:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD! You're the best Dad any kid could ever ask for, and the best G-Boy, too!

No comments: